Wednesday 22 February 2012

Maria de la Luz, Part Nine

Some affairs end with a bang, and other go out with a whimper. My time with Luz ended in the latter category with a telephone call the following week from Lucinda, one of those friends of hers that I had been introduced to when madam had wanted to show me off. Lucinda told me that Luz no longer wished to see me, and being off a curious mind I asked her for an explanation. Lucinda made a pretence at defending her friend and then told me the whole story.

It turned out that Luz had two strings to her bow, as a politician was vying with me for her favours. On the day after I had taken her to the Texcoco Horse Fair this fellow had done the same thing. Over dinner he had pulled out his wallet, showed her the contents and invited her to help herself. He then told her that once it had all gone then he would refill the wallet just for her. What girl could resist such a charmer? Anyway, that was the end of my brief week and a half with Luz.

"You must be devastated," said Lucinda, with what sounded even to my jaundiced ear like real concern in her voice.

"I cannot believe it," I replied, keeping my voice level and trying not to laugh. "I really thought that she and I were going to make a fine couple."

"Please don't let it effect you so much."

"How can I not? I am all alone now."

"What will you do?"

"Probably sit in a bar with a beer and do nothing else," I replied. I could hear Lucinda's mind working overtime, so I quickly moved in for the kill: "Would you like to join me for that drink?"

"Yes, please," she yapped, a trifle too eagerly for one who was supposedly doing nothing more than carrying a message.

Lucinda and I were lovers for about six months or so, but she falls outside the remit of this book, as she hardly came into the category of a good time girl. If anything she was a rather sweet, rather typical, local good girl who did as she was told, but was perhaps a trifle too passive for my tastes. Still, I must not grumble as she provided another notch to my cock.

As for Luz, she and her politician were fine together and he bought her a small house to live in when she fell pregnant with his child. She was even able to bring in the two offspring that she had with her ex-husband, and the politician visited her whenever he could. Until one night he was driving home three sheets to the wind and he wrapped his car around a tree, killing himself instantly. Luckily for Luz the house was paid for and she had been in the habit of pulling the odd note or two out of his wallet when he was sleeping it off so she was not short of a peso or two.

Let us wish her well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...