Wednesday 3 November 2010

The silliness of "sir"

Some short while ago I was chatting on-line to an American girl who kept on calling me "sir." I find such affectations rather amusing, but have always wondered why some people insist on the use of such terminology? I mean if a girl is sobbing quietly, rubbing her red bottom, and with her knickers still at knee height, then surely such gestures are redundant? Especially if the girl's voice then changes to become more liquid and gentle, if she becomes more tactile in her gestures, and starts to seek approval and permission before she acts. A woman who does that can call me whatever she likes as far as I am concerned because both of us know who wears the trousers and that it isn't her.

I think that the problem with the you will  call me sir brigade is that they seem to be working from a script - they are like actors in other words. They seem to think that if they stick to the script then so will everyone else, especially the girl. However, what if she can't contain her giggles at the thought of hackneyed and stilted dialogue? Is there a Plan B or do you just start to shout at her in the hope of breaking her down? This does not strike me as a good way to get a girl's respect and without that you are doomed, anyway.

So lose the scripts, guys, is my advice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Some of the guys I met online insisted on being called 'Sir' from the first communication. I always thought that that type lacked imagination and were, perhaps, low on self-esteem. Thus, they weren't worth my time and were promptly blocked from future communication.

With D, unlike with any other man I've been with, saying 'Sir' is almost instinctive and rarely, if ever, required. You make a great point that the lady's attitude is more relevant than the titles or labels she may use.

So, great advice to those men out there so caught up in being called 'Sir'.

Raven Red said...

And as you know Uncle Nick, I do have a problem with the "Sir" bit. Respect nor submissiveness are contained in a title or label, as Barely Pink has so aptly pointed out.

Uncle Nick said...

Yeah, low on self-esteem and mistaking the form for the content - wannabes in other words

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...